Thursday, July 23, 2009

How Much Weight Will Jason Gain in DC?

On Saturday, I will fly out to Washington, DC, to participate in a two-week grant review. The review process is a pretty sweet deal. The Department of Health and Human Services is paying for travel, hotel arrangements, meals, and a nice stipend.

I’m really excited about one aspect of the review process: dinner. Reviewers will be reimbursed for dinner expenses up to, get this, $31 per night.

Now, I LOVE to eat out. Lacey and I don’t eat out much together because of money; so, eating out every night for two weeks is an appealing prospect.

$31 dollars a night, though, seems a bit excessive. Lacey and I rarely spend that much together! After perusing a few online menus, I can tell you $31 per night is not outrageous for DC.

Perhaps, this rare occasion affords us the opportunity for our first interactive Adkins family blog competition. I will weigh myself the night before I leave for DC and the night after I return from DC. Guess the two-week weight differential and post your guess in our comments section (e.g., +10.5 lbs, -5 lbs).

The guess that comes closest to the weight differential (within the nearest half-pound) will merit a special DC-related prize for the winning weight-prognosticator. Guesses must be logged by 11:59:59 EST August 7, 2009.

Here are a few variables worth considering while determining your guess (yes, singular guess, one per person please).

1. It is likely that my method of transportation to restaurants will consist of my own two legs. Many of the restaurants I’m considering are within a 4 block area of the hotel.

2. For those wanting to scan potential menus, I will be staying at the Madison Hotel in DC. Be advised: I don’t like fish.

3. $31 per night may seem quite exorbitant, but I’ve seen several restaurants where a simple pasta dish and a drink (non-alcoholic) will be pushing my reimbursement level.

4. When budget allows, I will definitely be ordering dessert. A few of my favorite desserts include banana pudding, key lime pie, bread pudding, and vanilla ice cream. Also, I will probably consume sodas and coffee, when budget allows.

For the purpose of full disclosure, you should know that this grant competition, including the grant review, is funded by the stimulus package (a.k.a., the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009).

So, while the data may be inconclusive as to whether or not your hard earned stimulus dollars are stimulating the economy, they certainly will be stimulating my waistline!

5 comments:

  1. I love the new blog header and background! Have fun in DC, Jason. I'll post my weight gain guess at a later date.

    Lacey, if you need some company while Jason is gone, just give me a call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess:

    +9 lbs

    Joseph Gould

    ReplyDelete